Every three years the Executive Committee of the BSI along with the delegates from the BSI Auxiliaries across the country gather together to assess the Bible work and work on strategic direction for the next triennium . The Central Council consists of the Executive Committee, the office bearers of the Auxiliaries, and delegates representing the Auxiliaries across the country.
This year about 115 delegates gathered for the 27th Triennial Central Council meeting in Bangalore. As many as 16 youth representatives (under 30) attended the council for the first time.
The theme of the Central Council was Philadelphia Promise: Resourcing the vision and mission of the BSI. The key characteristics of the Philadelphia Promise are:
- Focus on Audiences and their representation in our programs
- Strengthen Church Relations and build new relationships with Churches not involved in our work
- Share resources such as expertise, talent and scholarship with neighbouring Bible Societies
- Mobilise resources to Support Bible work in needy areas
- Integrate digital into our Mission to reach new audiences generating greater engagement
- Promote succession planning and talent management
- Increase Sustainability, minimise waste and maximise impact
- Develop Wholistic Programs to meet total needs persons or of communities.
It was a privilege to have Rev.Dr.Robert Cunville, President, UBS, Mr. Michael Perreau, (Director General of UBS) along with Rev.Dr.Roy Pererson (the President & CEO of ABS) at the Central Council meetings.
A good number of leaders from various Bible Societies and denominational Churches brought Greetings and Goodwill messages:
- The Most Re Dr. Joseph Mar Thoma, Metropolitan, Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church
- The Most Re Dr. Yuhanon Mar Chrysostomos.Metropolitan, Malankara Orthodox Church
- The Archbishop Felix Anthony Machado, Bishop of Catholic Diocese of Vasai, Mumbai
- The Re Dr. Mar Atsongchanger, Executive Secretary,Ao Baptist Church Association Mission Centre
- Mr. Alwan Masih, General Secretary of the Church of North India Synod
- The Rev. Liton Mrong, General Secretary, Bangladesh Bible Society
- The Rev. Mathew K. Punnoose, General Secretary, Malaysian Bible Society
- Dr. Julian Sundersingh, Ministry Resource Facilitator& Global Literacy Coordinator, Global Mission Team: Global Ministry Exchange
- The Revd. Daniel Cheng, General Secretary, Bible Society of Taiwan
The General Secretary and the Directors presented their reports of the respective departments. They also presented their strategic plans for the next 3 years. The work of the BSI Auxiliaries were appreciated and awards were presented for “Excellence in contribution and distribution”.
- Aizawl Auxiliary received the award of excellence for raising contributions.
- Tamil Nadu received the award of Excellence for Bible Distribution
- Kerala Auxiliary received the Award of Excellence for Overall Performance
Awards of Appreciation was also distributed to the Auxiliaries in recognition of their Bible work. The Central Council also elected the Most Revd. Dr. P.C. Singh as its President, Dr. Mrs. Leela Bose – as Vice President and Revd. Premkumar Soans the Treasurer. The Outgoing Office Bearers, namely, President, Vice President and Treasurer were honoured for their faithful service.
To God be the glory for all great things that God did in and through the Bible Society of India Team during the Triennium as well as what God is going to do during the next Triennium.